If you are listing items that are already in Amazon's catalog which means it has an ASIN, you can use the Listing Loader tool. Listing Loader offers a simple way to upload your inventory on Amazon. It enables you to provide only the listing attributes instead of product attributes, which are required when using product file templates.
For products that do not exist in Amazon's catalog, first add those products to the catalog.
For the latest update on this Listing Loader, you can find it directly in Amazon after you log into your Amazon account. You can use the Listing Loader to add or update your listings in the supported categories shown below. Note that you may be ineligible to sell in certain categories.
- Grocery & Gourmet Food
- Health & Personal Care*
- Home & Garden
- Musical Instruments
- Office Products
- Outdoor Living*
- PC Hardware
- Pet Supplies
- Sporting Goods*
- Video Games
- Wireless Accessories
*Important: Do not use ASINs as the product ID for variation enabled categories.
Using the Listing Loader
There are two ways to use this Loader:
Option 1: Use the template with macros
Amazon has provided useful macros to automate some of the tasks in populating and uploading the Listing Loader. This is especially useful if you manually fill the workbook or can import listings information from another text file. This option requires a Windows operating system with Microsoft Excel 2002, 2003, or 2007.
Enter Listing Information
Enter listing details for your products, using one of these options:
- Type your listing details directly into the Listings-Template tab.
- Click the Import Listings macro button on the Listing Loader menu to import a text file that contains your listing details.
- When macros are enabled, the Listing Loader menu is available in Excel.
Perform Product Lookup (optional)
Product Lookup and Bulk Lookup require authorization through Amazon Marketplace Web Service (Amazon MWS). Visit http://developer.amazonservices.com
If you are using a version of the Listing Loader template that is older than 2.0 and find that Bulk Lookup and Product Lookup do not pull any product information into the template, download the latest version of Listing Loader. If you aren't sure which version you have, check the top of column B on the Template tab.
Product lookup and Bulk Lookup check the Amazon catalog for the products you are trying to list, and then fill in the Title and ASIN-hint fields for existing products. You can use the Title field to verify that your product matches to the correct Amazon product.
Look up products using one of these options:
- Bulk: Fill in the product-id column for each listing and then click the "Bulk Lookup" macro button on the Listing Loader menu to check the Amazon catalog for all of the products. Depending on the number of listings, this can take a while to complete.
- Interactive: Click the "Turn on Product Lookup" macro button on the Listing Loader menu to check the Amazon catalog for each listing as you enter the product-id.
Review Product Lookup Results (optional)
If a product does not exist in the Amazon.com catalog, or has multiple matches, your listing information for that product will be put in one of these two tabs for your further action:
- Products not Found
- Products with Multiple Matches
- Follow the instructions in those tabs if any of your listings appear there.
Validate Listings (optional)
Click the Validate macro button on the Listing Loader menu to validate your data. This checks your listing data for completeness and can reduce upload failures caused by input errors.
Upload Listings to Amazon
Upload your listings to Amazon using one of these options:
- Upload Macro - Click the Upload macro button on the Listing Loader menu and provide your Amazon MWS credentials. Visit http://developer.amazonservices.com
- Seller Central - Save the Listings-Template tab as a Tab-delimited text file (.txt) and upload that file from the inventory upload section in your seller account.
Option 2: Submit tab-delimited file in the Listing Loader format
You can choose not to use the Excel workbook and simply upload a tab-delimited file that conforms to the Listing Loader format. This approach is useful when you are using automated systems to generate and submit files to Amazon.
After you finish populating the Listings-Template sheet in the Listing Loader Template with your listings data, you are ready to create the inventory file you will upload to Amazon using Seller Central.
- Save your work as an Excel workbook one final time. We suggest creating a back-up copy and add a date to the file name to keep a history of your work if you want to refer to prior versions or in case there is an error in processing.
- Make sure you are on the worksheet tab that contains your data. On the File menu, click "Save As". The Save As dialog box appears.
- In the Save As Type list, select "Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)." Browse to where you would like to save the file, rename the file, and click "Save."
- You might see a warning that the selected file format (the Tab delimited file type) does not support workbooks containing multiple worksheets. Click "Yes."
- You might see a warning that your file contains features incompatible with the selected Text (Tab delimited) file format. Click "Yes."
You are now ready to upload your inventory file. For more information, see our Bulk Upload to Amazon Guide