This guide covers how to change the SKUs or GUIDs of existing items and there are a few terms you'll see used throughout this guide that are important for you to have a clear understanding of.
GUID - global unique identifier; this is the easiest to recognize and is always 100% unique
SKU - stock keeping unit; this is considered the "parent SKU" value when it is part of a variation set
ID - this is the internal SureDone database ID, which is a sequential number assigned by the system and is also 100% unique
In order to change the values of the SKUs, we'll need to use the ID as our identifier within the spreadsheet. This is because using the ID is the only way to select items via our bulk uploader to change the value of a SKU and/or GUID.
* IMPORTANT NOTE *
It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow this guide STEP BY STEP and to ALWAYS make sure you SKIP ALL CHANNELS when uploading the file. If you do not SKIP ALL CHANNELS, you are putting your live listings at risk of being removed. Please contact support if you have any questions before uploading changes to your SKUs.
In the example below, you'll see that we change over SKUs and GUIDs that start with a prefix of SD- to a new prefix of NEW-. Please pay close attention to the examples provided in the screenshots of the spreadsheet to ensure that you're following the steps correctly.
Steps to Change SKUs and/or GUIDs
1. Generate an export of the items you're looking to change the SKUs and/or GUIDs of and make sure you select the following fields (id, sku and guid) for generating the export file.
2. Download the file that's generated below
3. Open the file with Microsoft Excel and create a new column in front of all of the others with the value action=edit
4. Change the values of all the SKUs and/or GUIDs
5. Save the file as a .csv and go to Products > Bulk Uploads
6. Select the file and be sure to check Force and SKIP ALL CHANNELS before the file is uploaded for processing (not selecting this will potentially harm your live listings)