We recommend using Google Shopping Actions to list your products to Google. More guides on this can be found by clicking here. Configuration options below may no longer be available.
We are assuming that you have already set up and authorized your Google Merchant Center at this point.
Please note, and this is very important. We talk about setting default shipping settings below. Google offers a few approaches to shipping - flat shipping rates, percentage of item price, a rate table that you upload, carrier calculated pricing or a combination of the above. If you use carrier calculated pricing or an uploaded rate table, all items you want to include in your feed need to have a shipping weight defined. If the dimensional weight is higher than the actual shipping weight, you will also need to include package dimensions. If you do not include this information, and you include carrier calculated pricing or a rate table, items without this information WILL BE REJECTED FROM YOUR SHOPPING FEED AND WILL NOT DISPLAY ON GOOGLE.
There are a few steps to the process of setting up your Google Shopping Feed:
- Verifying your settings in SureDone
- Log in to the Google Merchant Center
- Verify your Merchant settings
- Configure your default tax settings
- Configure your default shipping settings
- Adding your feed
- Verifying your feed
- Going from Test to Production
- Click on the gear icon to display the setup options
- Select "Storefront"
- Expand "Features & Services" to show the available options
- Make sure your "Google Shopping" toggle switch is "on" (circle is to the right)
- Make sure that the "Google Shopping Description" field name is set to the field that you would like Google to import to display on their site (i.e. longdescription)
- Make sure that the MPN field is set to the manufacturer's part number field that you would like Google to use when they import their data (i.e. mpn)
- Go to the Google Merchant Center Website - https://www.google.com/retail/merchant-center/
- Log in with your credentials
- After you're logged in, click on "Settings" and "General" on the left hand navigation bar
- Verify that your store has a name
- Verify that your website is listed, verified and claimed
- Verify your business address is entered
- Verify your contact details have been filled out and are verified
Google will not let you import items unless your tax information is set. You can select to not charge tax within the United States, or specify taxes for individual states.
- Under settings, select "Tax"
- Follow the prompts, or click on the "pencil" icon on the right of the page to set your default tax information
- Save your settings
Google will not let you import items unless your default shipping settings are set.
- Under settings, select "Shipping"
- If no shipping types are shown, click on the red "+ Shipping Method" button
- Fill out the information requested and click on save.
- After you've saved it, you should see it displayed. In our case, we named our shipping method "This is my default", but you can name it whatever you would like
- Select "Feeds" in the left hand navigation bar
- Click on the red "+Feed" button
You will now be brought into the first step of your feed configuration.
We highly recommend selecting "Test" as your mode. This will enable you to verify your data is accurate before showing it to Google shoppers. However, if you select "Test", once all errors are fixed and your feed is ready, you'll have to delete and re-create this feed - so make sure to note your settings.
Select "Products" as your feed type
Select your target country - usually "United States". SureDone may not support all target countries.
Give your feed a name. In our case, we're using "SureDone Products Feed"
Click on continue to go to the next step
Select "Scheduled Fetches" for your input method
Click on continue to go to the next step
For the name of the file you will be uploading, type "base.xml" without the quotes
Set your fetch frequency to how often you would like Google to update your product information. Any time Google fetches your file, it will overwrite any prior fetches.
Set your fetch time to a time that is normally after you have updated your information. This way, you'll make sure that your information stays current.
Set your timezone.
For the file URL, you need to enter your SureDone domain followed by /feeds/base.xml. For example, if your SureDone domain was http://mydomain.suredone.com, set this to http://mydomain.suredone.com/feeds/base.xml. If you have your own domain, use something similar to http://www.mydomain.com/feeds/base.xml. Please note that if you are using a secure (SSL) SureDone site, you'll need to replace the http:// with https://
You can leave the username and password blank as the shopping feed is not protected (you are publishing it to the public, so securing it is not really necessary)
Make sure "Shopping" is checked under the "Enable this feed for:" selection.
Save your feed
You'll now return to your feed list and should see the new feed you have created. The "Last Upload" date will be blank as you still need to do your initial data import.
- If you are not in your "Feed" view, click on feeds on the left hand navigation bar.
- Click on the feed you just configured. Most likely, if you followed the directions above, you'll see a message that "This feed has never been uploaded".
Click on "Fetch Now" to start a download of your feed. Google may take a few minutes (or significantly longer) to pull down your initial shopping feed (depending on how many products are in it).
Refresh your screen to check the status of your data import. You may need to do this several times.
When the feed is done importing, you'll get a screen similar to the following.
The number of items processed should be the number of items available for sale in SureDone. All errors and warnings will appear below the processed information (errors will prevent your item from being published, while warnings just reflect additional information that can be provided if you would like - but the item will still be published). If you click on the triangle next to the error, more information regarding the error may appear. You can download a report by clicking on "Download full report", or get a copy of the file that Google downloaded from your site by clicking on "Download file".
Within SureDone, fix any errors you may have. When you are done, return to the merchant center and click "Fetch now" again.
Review for additional errors and fix as necessary.
You can click on the "Products" menu on the left hand navigation bar to view the products imported by Google.
- Make sure your test feed is verified and working. You may wish to wait a day or two for Google to pull down the feed a second or third time through its automated process.
- Go to your feed list (select "Feeds" from the left hand navigation bar)
- Click on the "x" to the far right of the test feed you created to delete it. Confirm the deletion.
- Follow all of the instructions in the prior sections (Adding Your Feed), but select "Standard" as your mode instead of "Test".
- Verify your feed using the instructions in the "Verifying Your Feed" section above.